Curtains are probably the most commonly used window coverings, be it a home or office. Curtains are fabric based and different from draperies as they are much lighter and in most cases not lined giving rooms an airy and spacious feel. They come in a wide variety of textures and hues to choose from. They not only add to the beauty of a room but are also a reflection of your personality. The choice of curtain largely depends on the amount of light control and privacy that you wish to have. There are different styles of curtains that you can choose from. We discuss them briefly here:
- Pleated curtainsThese are pleated at the top from where they hang. There are different types of pleats like single pleat, double or triple pinch pleat, goblet pinch, pencil pleat, double or triple box pleats, etc. to choose from. Pleated curtains give a gathered look and work well for wide windows.
- Tab top curtainsThese curtains have tabs at the top that lend immense flexibility for movement and handling owing to tab lengths. They are well suited for modern and contemporary homes giving a casual and informal look. You can choose from a wide variety of colors, textures and prints to match your room.
- Rod pocket curtainsThis is a very basic style of curtain style wherein a rod pocket is sewn across the width of the curtain at the top. These are often coupled with valences or go well with pelmets and can also be hung directly with rings.
- Tier curtainsThese refer to curtains at different levels covering portions of the window, either the lower half or upper half of both. The use of these is common in bathrooms and kitchens as they allow privacy at the same time let in sufficient natural light for illumination. They usually hang from rods.
- Sheer curtainsSheer curtains are either transparent or translucent allowing in light liberally. They are light and are more common in pastels. They are often coupled with draperies or heavy curtains and are fitted beneath them. You can also opt for lace curtains with intricate designs for more sophistication and elegance.
- Curtains with eyeletsThese are much preferred because of ease of handling and movement letting you adjusts the width of the curtains depending upon how much you wish to conceal. They are usually hung on decorative rods for more effect. These are also called grommet curtains.
Apart from different styles of curtains, there are numerous accessories to choose from to dress up your window. You can choose from decorative rods, tie backs, valences, hold backs, fancy rings and hooks, etc. to create the look you desire!