Blinds and windows have slats that could make cleaning them a complicated and time taking process. However to maintain them in good condition, proper cleaning and maintenance is essential so that they last you a few years. Changes in weather, dust, smoke, pets, children, etc. all contribute to dirty blinds and shutters. Here we share how you can go about cleaning them at home with ease and expertise!
Simple dusting by hand is one of the most popular and easy methods of cleaning these window coverings. Here is how you can go about doing it. Remember to dust as often as you can to prevent heavy build up.
- First you need to either open or close the slats so that you have maximum access to the entire surface and reach the corners.
- You can simply wear a sock or glove, open the slats and wipe them running your hand from one end to another. This is particularly easy for horizontal blinds and shutters.
- You can also use a slightly moist microfiber cloth for the purpose so that the dust particles get well absorbed in the cloth as your wipe clean the slats.
- You can also use a feather duster to get rid of the dust that settles on the slats. Always remember to start at the top and work your way downwards as you clean.
- You can also make use of special tools created for cleaning such louvers that are readily available across stores.
- Always use a brush attachment to get rid of dust settled on blinds and shutters.
- Start from the top most slat and move downwards.
- After you are done with vacuuming, wipe slats with a soft cloth to finish.
This is a good option for cleaning blinds and shutters if they are dirty and stained or have a heavy build up of dust and grime. This is how you can wash them.
- Start by removing the blinds from the windows and immersing them in a cleaning solution that you can either buy or make at home. You can either dip them in a bucket or lay them in a bath tub for the purpose.
- Let them soak for at least ten minutes and then use a soft brush to scrub clean them.
- Rinse them in clean water and let them dry before you put them back on the windows. You can also wipe dry with a cloth.
- In case of shutters, if you are unable to remove them, then you can consider spray cleaning them and them wiping them dry.