California shutters and California blinds are extremely popular window treatments, each with their advantages and disadvantages.
If you are deliberating on getting a little California for your Toronto-area home, here’s what you should know.
California shutters are a bit pricey and come in three common materials: vinyl, wood, and faux wood.
Pros of California Shutters
● Since they don’t come with dangling strings or cords, they are safe for kids and pets.
● No one likes a stuffy room. With California shutters, you can let in ample air when you open the windows.
● If you have large windows and doors, California shutters are a good option, especially with huge sliding doors. You can easily pull the shutters if you need to walk through your sliding door.
● They are easy to clean. A little dusting and wiping with a damp cloth can do the job.
Cons of California Shutters
● Almost all California shutters have a particular feel and look, so don’t offer many style choices.
● California shades are made to last, which is why manufacturers use thick, high-quality materials like wood and faux wood. That also makes them more expensive than other window treatments.
California blinds in Toronto are one of the most preferred window treatments in the city. There are three different styles: venetian, vertical, and micro. And you will find blinds made of various materials like aluminum, vinyl, wood, and faux wood.
Pros of California Blinds
● If you need to replace many window treatments, blinds are your best option as they are extremely cost effective.
● Blinds might not be exciting but they go well with any type of room.
● They are practical and efficient.
● You can find a wide variety of styles to suit your budget and preferences.
● California blinds offer greater control over light and privacy.
Cons of California Blinds
● Blinds with cords and drawstrings can be dangerous for pets and children unless you get more expensive motorized or cordless blinds.
● It’s safe to say that blinds are not aesthetically pleasing.
● Blinds are usually not as durable as other window treatments.
Deep Cleaning Shutters and Blinds
Deep cleaning is vital to maintain the look of your shutters and blinds and maintain your home’s hygiene. Cleaning blinds and shutters, California or otherwise, can be tedious but doesn’t have to be.
Deep Cleaning Shutters
● Make sure they are never wet. When deep cleaning wood shutters, use a soft cloth sprayed lightly with furniture polish or lemon oil. This will keep them clean and shiny.
● It is easier to clean faux wood shutters, as they are resistant to moisture. You can use a solution of mild detergent and water with a clean cotton cloth.
● You can clean vinyl shutters with water mixed with white vinegar. Dip a cotton glove in the solution, wring it until it is almost dry, wear it and run it over the louvers to wipe off the stains and dust.
Deep Cleaning Blinds
● For metal blinds, dry mopping is a good way to get rid of dust regularly. If you are cleaning them for the first time in a while, use a combination of cold water and gentle soap for deep cleaning.
● Never clean your wooden blinds with water if you don’t want them to warp and discolour.
● Plastic blinds can be washed, or clean them with a dry cloth or mixture of water and detergent.
● Vacuum fabric blinds. Or use the cool setting on your hairdryer to blow away dirt and tiny bugs. For spot cleaning, dab at the spot using a damp cloth. Don’t rub.
You can’t go wrong with either California blinds or California shutters. Both have their advantages and disadvantages; in the end, it’s up to your personal preference. In either case, go for quality. Ask the store for quotes and, if possible, check the product out visually for the look and quality. They aren’t that expensive but that doesn’t mean you don’t have to pay attention.